11 May 2008

Forgotten Books (Crime fiction that is)

Inspired by a posting by Petrona who pointed me to a new-to-me blog by Pattinase on a theme called Friday:Forgotten Books, I queried my database (which contains only records of books that I have read in the last 40 months or so) with the following requirements.
  • Published before 1970
  • Given a rating of 4 or more
  • Not Agatha Christie, Dorothy L. Sayers or Ngaio Marsh (whom I don't think have been forgotten)
Here are the books the database came up with
  • Patricia Carlon, THE WHISPERING WALL (1969)
  • Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo, ROSEANNA (1968), THE LAUGHING POLICEMAN, (1968), THE MAN ON THE BALCONY (1967)
  • Colin Watson, HOPJOY WAS HERE (1962), LONELYHEART 4122 (1967), CHARITY BEGINS AT HOME (1968), THE FLAXBOROUGH CRAB (1968)
  • Truman Capote, IN COLD BLOOD (1966)
  • John Le Carre, THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD (1963)
  • Robert Van Gulin, THE CHINESE BELL MURDERS (1958)
  • Friedrich Glauser, THUMBPRINT (1936)
  • Fergus Hume, THE MYSTERY OF A HANSOM CAB (1886)
I am looking forward to some other recommendations

3 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

I love Patricia Carlon especially. I'll put this link up on Friday if it's okay with you. Patti

Kerrie said...

that's fine with me Patti

Peter Rozovsky said...

I named Bill James' Harpur & Iles series for Patti's list, but you've picked at least two good ones in Colin Watson and Robert van Gulik. I also think that In Cold Blood and The Spy Who Came in From the Cold are classics that have never been forgotten, at least in America.
==============
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://www.detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin